10th May at 11:54
I'm so happy to say that my new portfolio site, carlevans.dev is so close to being ready.
If you're reading this, version 1 is already live!
To be honest, the most difficult part for me was writing the PHP that powers the Craft API.
I had only really used PHP for simple WordPress theme templating in the past.
I am so excited to share this with people.
The build has been a breeze so far, and it's been fun to be the creative person for once and get more of a say in decisions that affect users, and being able to make design decisions I believe will benefit the usability and accessibility of the website.
- Most of the site body text sticks to the browser default font-size of 16px, which is excellent for readability (there's a reason all the clever browser-makers chose it as their default font-size for paragraphs).
- No carousels (statistically proven to receive poor engagement)
- Dark mode is available for users who prefer that
- Design system constraints to ensure visual consistency and clarity in cascading styles. Work with the browser, not against it
- Animations and transitions are disabled if a user prefers not to see them
- Buttons are not links!
Also: JAMStack is interesting!